The Costa Tropical is a paradise for aquatic enthusiasts, offering abundant opportunities for scuba diving and snorkeling. Its crystalline waters teem with vibrant marine life and captivating underwater landscapes. On this coastline of the Alboran Sea, marks the transition from the cold, biodiverse currents of the Atlantic to the warmer, saltier Mediterranean waters. This creates a thriving underwater ecosystem, set against a backdrop of cliffs and ravines that create a unique microclimate with milder temperatures compared to other parts of southern Andalusia. And of course, also incredibly clear waters. The seabed of the Costa Tropical is carpeted with orange corals, where colorful species like sea feathers and anemones thrive. These serve as shelter and feeding grounds for rockfish, as well as groupers, octopuses, haddocks, cuttlefish, and a variety of fish, ranging from seahorses and congers to sea breams, scorpionfish, and tuna. Along the Granada Costa Tropical, approximately 30 sites with clear waters and abundant biodiversity are concentrated.
Scuba diving schools along the Costa Tropical provide a range of courses tailored to divers of all levels. Beginners can embark on the exhilarating journey of becoming a certified Open Water Diver, where they learn essential skills, safety protocols, and gain confidence in exploring depths up to 60 feet. For those seeking more advanced adventures, courses like the Advanced Open Water and Rescue Diver certifications delve into specialized techniques, including deep dives and underwater navigation.
Diving sites in the Costa Tropical are divided into two main zones: those near La Herradura and those to the north of Calahonda. In these areas, as well as in Almuñécar, there are several companies that offer diving guides and equipment rentals, catering to both experienced divers and those looking to experience their first dive in this aquatic pastime. They provide services for introductory dives, PADI certifications, and guided dives in groups ranging from five to ten people.
On the area of La Herradura, there are around a dozen notable sites, with three main groups standing out. The first stretches from the nudist beach of Cantarriján to Calaiza, which also includes the areas of Los Candelabros, Los Ceriantus, La Cueva de las Palomas, and La Pared Amarilla. In the Punta de la Mona area, there is a rich biodiversity in El Salto, La Calita, Piedras Altas, and La Cueva del Jarro (including the Punta de la Mona itself), while opposite the Marina del Este beach lies the sector of Punta del Vapor.
In Almuñécar, divers can explore the area of Las Motos and the shipwreck San Cristóbal, resting at a depth of 24 meters.
Just north of the Calahonda pier, a series of sites unfold within Gualchos-Castell de Ferro, including La Laja, Zacatín, Punta del Cerrón, Cueva Hormigonera, Cala Higuera, La Rijana, La Rijanilla, La Grieta-Los Tajos, and the Cueva del Melonar.
Snorkeling, an accessible and immersive alternative, invites enthusiasts to observe the Costa Tropical’s marine wonders from the surface. Many tour operators offer guided snorkeling excursions to the region’s most captivating spots, where kaleidoscopic fish and stunning coral formations await discovery.
With the Costa Tropical’s warm Mediterranean waters, diverse marine life, and expert instruction, both novices and experienced divers and snorkelers alike are bound to have unforgettable experiences exploring this underwater paradise.
Respecting the Marine Environment:
Exploring the underwater world also comes with a responsibility to preserve it. Divers and snorkelers are encouraged to follow eco-friendly practices, such as not touching or disturbing marine life, and avoiding contact with delicate coral formations.
• Almuñécar Dive Centre. Location: Paseo de China Gorda, 5, Almuñécar. Tel: 680 39 69 93. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website.
• Centro de Buceo La Herradura, Avenida Marina del Este s/n, La Herradura. Tel: 958827083 / 958827312 Email: email@example.com. Website.
• Centro de Buceo Open Water La Herradura. Location: P.º Andrés Segovia, S/N, La Herradura.
Tel: 644 44 43 14. Website.
• Centro de Buceo Marina. Paseo Andrés Segovia Nº 7 – Local 5. La Herradura. Tel: 958 640 856 / 722 641 993
• Buceo Aqualia La Herradura. Location: Edificio Jimenez, C. Gonzalo Barbero, 2, La Herradura.
Tel: 628 90 37 77. Website.
• Buceo España. Location: Av. Prieto Moreno, 4, La Herradura. Tel: 609 58 74 99. Website.
• Buceo Natura. Location: P.º Andrés Segovia, 67, La Herradura. Tel: 958 82 74 19. Website.
• Buceo Almuñécar. Location: Pl. San Cristóbal, 1, Almuñécar. Tel: 623 04 81 51. Website.
• Centro de Buceo Argos. Location: P.º Andrés Segovia, La Herradura
• Scuba Tropical. Location: Calle Canalejas, 4 , La Herradura
• Escuela de Buceo Bubbles Sea. Location: C. Juan Rulfo, Torrenueva. Tel: 683 65 90 52
• Buceo Calahonda. Location: Ctra. Almería -Calahonda, 2, 18730 Calahonda. Tel: 623 32 50 89
• YoBuceo Calahonda. Location: C/ Fragata Cervantes, 21. Calahonda. Tel: 609149860
• Buceo España La Herradura. Location: Av. Prieto Moreno, 4, 18697 La Herradura. Tel: 609 58 74 99